[filmscanners] Re: large scanning project

On 31/05/2006 lotusm50@sprynet.com wrote:
> All the scanners he "supports" in 32 bit must use
> their manufacturer-supplied device drivers in order to work with or
> without Vuescan.

That's what I question. Ed implements some scanner functionality and quite
often extends it, in ways which are not implemented in the OE software. EG
multiscanning in scanners that were not designed for it; elimination of
banding by intriducing wait delays to calm mech resonance that Nikon never
fixed; using the IR channel for his own noise elimination routines instead
of DICE or routines that are proprietary and unavailable to him;
supporting scanners under Linux for which OE drivers were never available.

It would be surprising if OE drivers were prescient enough to support all
this creativity. It's my belief VS is 'driverless', it provides its own
interface to the scanner firmware. Though as Laurie says, if there's not
an OS-compatible ASPI layer between VS and the data bus, it ain't gonna
work, and if the VS code is unable to communicate with the 64bit OS, it
ain't gonna work.

Regards

Tony Sleep