Re: filmscanners: Cleaning slides

Kevin Power wrote:

> Hope this is not off-topic to continue this discussion re "Best way to clean
> slides", but I have found it worthwhile to learn of the methods others use.
>
> I have found most of my problems arise when I put slides into competitions
> or when I project them for others. They seem to attract dust and gunk that
> must be sucked in somehow by projectors, let alone poor handling practises.
>
> Nevertheless, it is a real problem, that has to be overcome. Perhaps it is
> best to scan them first so one always has a digital copy.  Kevin.

Funny how fellow photographers are abusive with others images.
Jealousy? ;-)

I do admit very few of my original slides get projected, and certainly
not more than once.  If they deserve a second go, they get duped.  Of
course, THAT can be where damages and dirt occur (by the lab)!

Slide projectors, and especially environments that allow smoking, are
bad news for film.  Besides the residue that can develop (slide
projectors (Kodak's Carousel and Ektagraphic particularly) have about
200 points of lubrication with a half dozen different oils and greases
which both migrate and evaporate from the heat and fans, and can deposit
on slides) also fade slides rather quickly.  In fact out steadfast
Kodachrome, which has very good "dark keeping" properties, fades quite
rapidly in bright light-- I'm speaking of losses of dye density within
minutes under a projector bulb illumination.

Ektachromes, on the other hand fare better under bright lighting, but
have poorer dark keeping properties.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.