[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

That was my issue.  I have all these Zeiss lenses that I couldn't use.
To go digital I would have needed to dump some fantastic lens on the
market for pennies on the dollar, and then spend $10,000 on new lenses
that just won't be as satisfying.

Well, that's why I eventually went to Canon.  I could use all my manual
focus Zeiss Contax (RTS) lenses on the Canon with an adapter (OK, no
auto aperture, and the Canon prism/screen sucks for manual focusing (get
a Brightscreen for some help) but it works), my auto focus Zeiss lenses
for Contax N, can be converted to the Canon mount with full auto
focus/auto aperture/EXIF info (the creation of this conversion by
conurus sealed the decision -- see http://en.conurus.com/  -- it works
great, and they are developing a shift adapter for my Contax 645 lenses
as well), add to this the ability to use some of the odd and/or obscure
M42 screw mount and Pentacon 6 lens mount lenses with adapter and most
of my lenses can be continue to be effectively used.

Zeiss may not be producing the 50mm f1.4 Planar for Canon, but you can
use the Contax RTS version with an adapter, you can use the Zeiss ZF
(Nikon F mount) version with an adapter, and you can find one, you can
get a copy of the version of the lens for the Contax N and have it
converted for full AF capability and no adapter (this particular
conversion is not available yet, but will be in a few months).

So the situation is not as bleak as you suggest, and I can confirm that
it all works quite well.  The 5D has some nice output, particularly
impressive at high ISO's.  However, the sacrifice here is the Canon user
interface which really does suck.  I can not tell you how much I would
give to have the Contax N Digital produced again and revised with a
current chip (like the 1DsII or 5D chip) in it. Outstanding interface
and handling (works just like all the other Contaxes) and when used
within it's limited useful operating range produced stunning,
non-digital-looking, images.   But since through Kyocera's
bull-headed-ness that's not going to happen, so I'll have to suffer
through with Canon as the only choice -- but it is a viable choice
access the quality of the Zeiss lenses in the digital realm.