[filmscanners] RE: Using high res digital camera for scanning/duplicating

> if the result was high quality digital scans at the rate of  a
> roll every few minutes instead of a roll per hour.

I doubt that this is possible with digital cameras even if they used a
very large flash cards for memory to contain a large number of high
quality camera raw or TIFF files since not only are digital camera's
slower than film cameras so as to present obstacles to high speed
photography but one will need to change the subject film frames between
shots, which takes time and often requires some adjustments for each
slide.

I do think that one could probably duplicate or digitalize a roll of
film using a digital camera at a rate of less than 1 roll per hour; but
I doubt if one can duplicate or digitalize a roll every few minutes -
especially if the roll consisted of separate individual slides or film
frames or even 4-6 frame film strips.  In the case of the 4-6 frame film
strips, you would have to change the film strips from one strip to the
next frequently which will take time.  The only time I could see that
happening would be if the entire roll was in a single strip uncut and
feed through a slide duping setup automatically with only minor
variations in the film frames requiring only minor camera adjustments
from frame to frame in the strip; however, like the film scanner, even
this would probably feed the film slowly as is currently the case with
strip feed film scanners.

This is my take on this particular item; however, the others have raised
some good points and interesting considerations with respect to other
issues and points.