From: "Laurie Solomon" <laurie@advancenet.net>
To: <mail@imagesbykehl.com>
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 10:26 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Using high res digital camera for
scanning/duplicating

Your questions tend to ignore some other key issues.  Even if the
resolutions and quality of digital cameras have improved to the point of
competing with flatbed scanners or even film scanners when it comes to
the results or even if one uses high quality flat field normal and/or
macro duplicating lenses, one has to deal with issues of maintaining the
film in a flat state without curl or bowing, flat and even color
corrected lighting of the film, and finding software that will be able
to both reverse and account for the orange masking on color negative
film without causing unwanted color casts and shifting.

Of equal importance, one would have to establish and utilize a
traditional copy stand setup to keep the camera stable and without shake
for longer exposures at the proper distances given the lighting and
light levels being used as well as allowing for the use of filters over
the lights for purposes of softening the lighting as well as polarizing
the lighting and correcting it for color temperature, depending on the
nature of the subject film being rephotographed if one  is to seriously
engage in using a digital camera to digitalize films.  One might also
find a need to utilize filters over the lens of the digital camera to
account for variances in the color characteristics of the films in
question with respect to the types of camera sensors being used.

I have not used Vuescan in a while and have not kept up with all the
updates of the software; but I have to wonder if it can be used to color
correct and account for the orange masking of color negatives when used
with camera raw files generated by the higher quality digital cameras. I
have the feeling that one would have to convert the camera raw files to
standard file formats like TIFF and JPEG before one could engage in any
post production image editing and correction using Vuescan.