[filmscanners] Re: Using high res digital camera for scanning/duplicating

On 14/02/2006 Laurie Solomon wrote:
> I have not used Vuescan in a while and have not kept up with all the
> updates of the software; but I have to wonder if it can be used to
> color
> correct and account for the orange masking of color negatives when
> used
> with camera raw files generated by the higher quality digital
> cameras. I
> have the feeling that one would have to convert the camera raw files
> standard file formats like TIFF and JPEG before one could engage in
> any
> post production image editing and correction using Vuescan.

VS could probably do it, with a couple of reservations

1. Most of the orange mask will need to be cancelled optically, by
filters. Decent filmscanners increase G & B exposure in order to
approximately cancel the orange mask of colour negative, only fine
adjustment is done in software. A digital camera cannot do that, and
removing the mask purely in software will trash the dynamic range of the
image. So a CC filter pack on an Illumitran should accomplish much the
same and will be necessary, I think.

2. Following on from that, there seem likely to be white balance issues as
the camera tries to correct for the effect of mask + filters. AWB may be a
help or a hindrance here. I think the thing to do would be to manually set
WB to match the unfiltered lightsource, but some experimentation will be
needed.

I don't see any real reason why a decent DSLR on an Illumitran shouldn't
work pretty well. I kept mine from duping days, thinking to try it some
time (they're worth pennies nowadays), but never yet have as I don't have
a macro at present. Tranny is likely to be easier, but once a workflow is
sorted out, it should be pretty quick, and there is more capability for
'blasting' dense originals than on any filmscanner. I hope somebody does
try it and let us know.

Tony Sleep