[filmscanners] RE: HP PhotsSmart - questions

Maybe my math is bad; but if it has a native resolution of 2400 ppi/dpi
scanning 1" film, then my math says it will have a native resolution
scanning a 5 inch subject which is much lower than 300 ppi/dpi
independent of the light path factors(e.g., around 75 ppi/dpi). For the
size print that the original poster mentioned which was smaller ( but I
forget the exact size but I think it may have been either a 3.5 x 5 or a
4 x 6), the native optical resolution would be in the range of about 150
ppi/dpi to 300 ppi/dpi.

But this is based on the assumption that a scanner can have variable
native optical resolutions; however, to the best of my knowledge and
understanding, scanners have a single native optical resolution.  The
effective optical resolution is a by-product of the number of inches
that one divides into the native optical resolution.  Thus, an
enlargement of the image without any interpolative resampling will
result in a lower effective resolution while the reduction of the image
size without such sampling will result in a higher effective resolution.

Nevertheless, it is still unclear to me if you are saying that the
native OPTICAL resolution of this scanner is variable or not; and if
not, if the native OPTICAL resolution of this scanner is 2400 ppi/dpi or
something else that would produce an effective native resolution of 2400
ppi/dpi when scanning a 1 inch horizontal length as opposed to some
other horizontal length.