[filmscanners] RE: HP PhotsSmart - questions

Without trying to question or second guess the Schneider guy, I suspect
that the reason for the recommendation without reservations was because
he was referring to Schneider lenses and they unlike some of the cheaper
prosumer lenses may not put their multicoatings on the outside surface
of the lens or lens elements where they can get scratched or effected by
strong chemical solutions.  Some of the coatings may very well be
sandwiched between layers of glass in the lens or lens element so as to
be protected from direct contact with anything including cleaning
solutions.  Cheaper lenses and other optics may put the coatings on the
front of the optics, the lens or lens element as if the coating was
merely painted on, although I suspect that they are actually baked on to
the surface in some manner, which may leave then susceptible to damage
from liquids and scratching.  Since many scanners use internal front
surface mirrors, their reflective surfaces are open to easy damage from
scratching and chemical solutions as might be the various coated optics
that are used to focus the light on the sensor, since typically the
assumption is that the optics are internal to the scanner and not user
accessible thus in no need of more elaborate treatment as might be the
case for camera lenses whose front elements  and often rear elements are
accessible to users.