[filmscanners] Re: HP PhotsSmart - questions

Laurie Solomon wrote:

> Maybe my math is bad; but if it has a native resolution of 2400 ppi/dpi
> scanning 1" film, then my math says it will have a native resolution
> scanning a 5 inch subject which is much lower than 300 ppi/dpi
> independent of the light path factors(e.g., around 75 ppi/dpi). For the
> size print that the original poster mentioned which was smaller ( but I
> forget the exact size but I think it may have been either a 3.5 x 5 or a
> 4 x 6), the native optical resolution would be in the range of about 150
> ppi/dpi to 300 ppi/dpi.

Your math is bad.  Let's assume the CCD line sensor is 1/2" across (this
dimension actually isn't relevant for this discussion, but I wanted to
give it a size), and it indeed has 2400 usable discrete sensor
locations.  Through the optical lens (forget about measurable ppi
ratings, we are speaking of "native", regardless of what the optics or
electronics do to it) an image of a band of the film width is projected
onto this CCD sensor.  If the film width is exactly 1", then 2400
sampling locations exist, so it records 2400 ppi in a 1" wide swath.

Now, imagine through changes of the optical path, the same system, but
this time a five inch wide image is also projected on this same 1/2"
sensor with 2400 discrete sensor locations.  The output is still 2400
pixels, but this time, across 5" rather than 1".  So, 2400 pixels wide,
divided now by 5 (inches) equals 480 ppi.  However, I imagine what
happens with this beast is that the image is "condensed" and projected
on to less than the full sensor width, and only about 1500 of the 2400
sensors are used, perhaps toward the middle sweet spot of the lens to
improve what is probably not a great design to begin with.

> But this is based on the assumption that a scanner can have variable
> native optical resolutions; however, to the best of my knowledge and
> understanding, scanners have a single native optical resolution.  The
> effective optical resolution is a by-product of the number of inches
> that one divides into the native optical resolution.  Thus, an
> enlargement of the image without any interpolative resampling will
> result in a lower effective resolution while the reduction of the image
> size without such sampling will result in a higher effective resolution.
>
> Nevertheless, it is still unclear to me if you are saying that the
> native OPTICAL resolution of this scanner is variable or not; and if
> not, if the native OPTICAL resolution of this scanner is 2400 ppi/dpi or
> something else that would produce an effective native resolution of 2400
> ppi/dpi when scanning a 1 inch horizontal length as opposed to some
> other horizontal length.

I basically agree with your description of optical native resolution.
As I believe you are stating, however, it is dependent upon the size of
the original. The number of discrete sensor locations within the line
sensor are finite and absolute (let's ignore double sampling or ganged
CCDs).  Assuming they are all used, no more than that number can be
resolved.  So, a 8" wide flatbed scanner which has a native resolution
of 600 dpi, has a line sensor with 600 x 8 discrete sensor locations
(per color or line) or 4800 sensors.  The same scanner might, with the
right optical path, scan a 1" wide 35mm negatives at 4800 dpi, using the
same sensor.  They often cannot do so, because of the nature of the
optical path which doesn't allow for the lens to resolve the outer areas
of the lens that well, so a sweet spot is used, only projecting to a
portion of the line CCD.

Art