[filmscanners] Re: HP PhotsSmart - questions

If the optical resolution is variable and YES there are scanners that
can do it (they have to be able to change the distance between the lens
and CCD (CMOS) to change the resolution, then be able to move the
Lens-CCD assembly into the new focus position.  Needless to say, this
generally is in the realm of higher-end scanners.

If the resolution is variable and the scanner can achieve 2,400ppi over
a 1" wide path, then it will achieve 480ppi over a 5" path (2,400ppi/5in
= 480ppi simple arithmetic).

You can set up a simple ratio if the original strip is something other
than 1"...

Original Resolution         New Resolution
Original Scan Width         New Scan Width

Fill in what you know and solve for what you don't.  It works every
time, IF the scanner has variable resolution (many don't).  Remember,
you can never exceed the maximum optical resolution of the scanner.

Mr. Bill