[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan V vs Minolta Elite 5400

Dieter Henkel <Dieter.Henkel@gmx.at> wrote :

> Thursday, November 18, 2004, 5:10:39 PM, Mike wrote:
>
> &gt; Biggest complaints I've heard for the 5400 is software related.  People
> say
> &gt; they think unkindly about the Minolta software, but don't ever seem to
> say
> &gt; why (and with the limited experience I have using it thus far, I
> haven't
> &gt; discovered the problem as yet, seems to work okay for me thus far).
>
> After using the Minolta 5400 for over a month (before I have to give
> it back tomorrow) I have to say that I like the Minolta software. Easy
> and fast to use, enough options for my taste.
>
> The main downside is the extremly slow speed if ICE is turned on. You
> can't turn off the grain dissolver which might add to this. Start
> scanning six slides and you can go shopping in the meantime...

Keep in mind that speed is "relative".  A 4000 ppi scanner produces only
a little over half as many pixels as does the 5400 at 5400 ppi resolution
so it'd seem twice as fast to be the same speed, so to speak.

With my 5400, ICE and grain dissolver turned on, multi-scan set
to 2X, and running at 5400 ppi, the scan time is about 6.5 minutes.
With multiscan turned off (not really needed, noise seems to be very
low in my unit)it'd be faster.   So be quick when shopping. :-)

Mike K.