[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan V vs Minolta Elite 5400

Friday, November 19, 2004, 3:43:29 AM, Mike K. wrote:

> Dieter Henkel <Dieter.Henkel@gmx.at> wrote :

>> The main downside is the extremly slow speed if ICE is turned on. You
>> can't turn off the grain dissolver which might add to this. Start
>> scanning six slides and you can go shopping in the meantime...

> Keep in mind that speed is "relative".  A 4000 ppi scanner produces only
> a little over half as many pixels as does the 5400 at 5400 ppi resolution
> so it'd seem twice as fast to be the same speed, so to speak.

I usually scan with 1800 ppi, multi-scan off, ICE on, because that is
enough for most of my shots. Yet it takes about 5 minutes per photo.
Perhaps the computer makes the big difference although my old Minolta
Dimage Elite never posed any problems (about 2 minutes per scan with
ICE turned on).

> With my 5400, ICE and grain dissolver turned on, multi-scan set
> to 2X, and running at 5400 ppi, the scan time is about 6.5 minutes.
> With multiscan turned off (not really needed, noise seems to be very
> low in my unit)it'd be faster.   So be quick when shopping. :-)

Yes, I was quick. I bought a Canon 5200F. The quality obviously isn't
as good but 140 Euro compared to 590 Euro (and faster speed) was the
decisive point for me. It has to be a replacement for about a year
when I am going to switch to digital. Yesterday I did some comparison
scans where I could see the difference. I can upload the scans to my
homepage if someone is interested.

--
Best regards,
 Dieter