[filmscanners] Re: Canon 5200F and 8400F

While the Plustek has a very cheap price, it DOES NOT have infrared defect
correction. I have not used the software version of dust and scratch
removal that comes with this scanner, but I doubt it works as well as
infrared.

While infrared surface defect correction is critical, the unique way
Digital ICE repairs the defects is super critical. It doesn't do a "fill"
but actually "looks through" a surface defect to repair it. I don't know
if the Canon Fare does this.

I can't recommend a particular scanner but here is a list of scanners with
infrared Digital ICE:
Benq's ScanWit 2740S
Epson Perfection 4870, 4990
Minolta's Dimâge Scan Elite, Multi, Multi Pro, Elite 5400 and the Elite
5400 II
Microtek  i410 and the i700
Nikon's Coolscan V ED, Super Coolscan® 5000 ED and Super Coolscan® 9000 ED
incorporate DIGITAL ICE Technology as a component of the DIGITAL ICE4
(Quad) suite
Nikon's Coolscan III and Super Coolscan® 2000
Nikon's Coolscan IV ED, Super Coolscan® 4000 ED and Super Coolscan® 8000
ED incorporate DIGITAL ICE Technology as a component of the DIGITAL ICE3
Technology suite
Umax Powerlook 270
Durst's Sigma professional film scanner
Kodak's HR 500, 1640 and 1640 Pro
Pakon F235
PIE's PF 3600, PF3560u and PF3650 Pro3 with DIGITAL ICE3 Technology
Umax Powerlook 270
Noritsu's QSS-2711, QSS-2721, QSS-2801, QSS-2802, QSS-3001 and QSS-2901
Gretag's Master Flex D 1008
AGFA's d-lab.3
Konica RS-1
Kodak 1640, 1640 Pro

There may be some other Digital ICE enabled scanners manufactured by some
of the companies above or similar models sold outside the US.

Some of these scanners should be in your budget if not new then certainly
used.

Good luck scanning!

Jack Phipps
Kodak's Austin Development Center
Formerly, Applied Science Fiction
Developers of Digital ICE, Digital ROC, Digital SHO, Digital GEM, Digital
GEM Airbrush

Consider the Plustek OpticFilm 7200dpi dedicated film scanner £170.
http://tinyurl.com/6k76b AP raves about it and PP compares to scan elite
5400 etc. Opticfilm has SilverFast SE with SRD scratch and dust removal.

Chris Street
DataMind

or body