[filmscanners] Re: CMYK rant (was Digital Darkroom ComputerBuilders?)

Just because a magazine prints in more than 4 colors doesn't mean it's not CMYK
- Wired,
for instance, was for years CMYK plus two spot colors--often metallic silver
and day-glo
orange. (But I think Conde-Nast cut it back to 4 colors soon after they bought
it--the same
time they took out all the interesting content.) In general, when I think of
six-color,
this is what I think of--CMYK+2 spot, or CMYK + 1 spot + spot varnish. But even
if you are
running Hexachrome it's fundamentally a CMYK-based system with two extra inks
to help cover
the holes in the CMYK gamut, not really a whole new
colorspace--"CMYK-with-Band-Aids"

Photoshop does not natively handle Hexachrome, you have to buy a rather
expensive plug-in.