[filmscanners] Re: CMYK rant (was Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?)

> > Here is why I don't think it's necessary to have a CMYK colour space
> > for image manipulation:
>
> CMYK is essential for people doing the whole prepress workflow so that what
> they produce goes straight to a printer as an EPS or PDF. EG a photographer
> producing his own postcards or posters or book who has control over every
> aspect including the paper stock, inks and lithographic process. For anyone
> else, just ignore it unless you like it.

Thanks Tony, Anthony, and Austin for contributing to this thread. It
seems there is a 3:1 majority here who thinks CMYK isn't of any use to
the (digital) photographer.

If, as Anthony said, CMYK is useful for printing work, then it only
makes sense to use CMYK if you do it in the colour space of the
printer AND convert to RGB using ICC colour profiles for display on
screen. This is great, but it implies that the CMYK file is made for
one and only one printer, so whenever a company buys a new printer
that is different from the old ones in colour rendition, they have to
discard (or adapt) their old CMYK files. Also, more and more
high-quality magazines etc. use more than 4 colours, in which case the
entire method becomes useless.

My suggestion here is the obvious one -- why don't we all work in
CIELab or XYZ and convert to RGB for on-screen display and CMYK for
printing? The conversion to RGB can be done via CMYK, so that the RGB
display gives a good preview of the actual printed image. One still
needs to have an idea of how the gamuts of screen and printer differ,
but that's no different when working in CMYK.

Thus, I think CMYK is historical dead weight which has been obsolete
at least since the ICC standard was created.

  Andras