[filmscanners] Re: CMYK rant (was Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?)

> >That reminds me of a question I sometimes ask myself -- how many
> >people still use CMYK? I can't see the point of using a colourspace
> >like that that has nothing in common with either input or output
> >devices.
>
> Here I do agree with Anthony.  CYMK is a fundamental element in almost the
> entire printing process - even if in some areas it goes seen but unnoticed.
> You do not directly deal with CYMK when outputing to inkjet; but the printer
> converts to it and prints in that space as limited by the media and the

OK, what I actually meant is how many people use CMYK colour space
when manipulating images in PhotoShop or so. Yes, printers often have
CMYK components, but that should be hidden from the user by the
printer driver.

Here is why I don't think it's necessary to have a CMYK colour space
for image manipulation:

- For manipulating and storing images, the fourth channel "black" is
  totally redundant. Also, if CMYK is based on the printer's colour
  space, why CMYK and not CMYKcm or whatever extra colours there are?

- There is no such thing as a standard CMYK space, each output device
  has different characteristics. A CMYK image file has to be converted
  to the printer's CMYK space using ICC or similar transforms anyway,
  just like any RGB or other image. For RGB, at least there are
  standards like sRGB, Adobe RGB98, etc.

- On a computer, the native colour space of the monitor is RGB, which
  also resembles the spectral response of the three colour receptors
  in the eye. Although each monitor has its own RGB space, and
  therefore conversion is still necessary, it is often sufficient to
  work on an image in the monitor's colour space, which makes life
  much easier. Any RGB format can be directly displayed on any
  monitor (with small deviations maybe), unlike CMYK.

- If someone wants to use a device-independent colour space to work
  in, there are XYZ, Lab, etc.

Not trying to start another flame war,

  Andras