filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: New auto adjust software on it's way

Preston wrote:
>(I remember an article in Scientific American 15 to 20 years ago about
the
>improvement of photographic images (I think they were alluding to spy
>satellite images) to eliminate/reduce blur due to camera motion and lens
>focus (or lack thereof).

That article may have been concerned with something I learned about at
university
- inverse fourier transforms.  If you can map the aberrations in a satellite
lens system while it is still on earth and make a transform from it, you
can actually use an inverse transform to remove the aberrations.  The result
is a sharper image than the camera actually saw.  I know this technology
has been used with military spy satellite images, but I don't know where
else it may have been used.  It would be difficult to use on a commercial
basis due to the need to map the aberrations of the lens system.  It would
be wonderful if it could be used in a scanner, because theoretically it
ought to be possible to remove aliasing and lens aberrations from the scanner
optics.

(but I've discussed it before and I won't bore everyone with it again! :)

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.