Re: filmscanners: Best film scanner, period!!!

No, I didn't, nor would I.  I've yet to have a complaint by anyone about
my use of Nikon lenses.

As I think I've posted before, I did a double blind shoot out with Leica
and Nikon lenses (a 28mm 2.8 wide angle, a 135mm 2.8 tele and the 50mm
1.4 normal).  Each image was shot with one of these three lenses with
both the Leica and the Nikon, on Kodachrome 25.

After the images were marked, they were placed in slide trays in random
sequence, but next to one another, and projected with Navitar Gold
projector lenses.

A group of 4 experienced photographers were asked to evaluate each pair
of images and choose the one they preferred.  Consideration as given to
sharpness, color "accuracy", overall contrast and exposure evenness, and
the like.

The Leica 28mm 2.8 won all photographers in most of the  images.
The 50mm 1.4 went about 50/50, and the Nikon 135mm 2.8 won nearly every
time. (the 135 Nikkor is an older but tack sharp chunk of glass with
very good coatings which I had AI'd to accommodate newer Nikon bodies.

>From the results, I came to a few conclusions.  One, older Nikon lenses
seemed to be superior to newer ones (the 28mm 2.8 Nikkor was the newest
lens of the lot used).  Two, Leica lenses are fine, overall, but hardly
worth the considerable cost differences as compared to the Nikon.

I have no comments of Leica rangefinders, other than that I've rarely
gotten along well with anyone who tells me they own one ;-)

Art

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > Please don't tell my wife!  If she found out I bought a Leica she'd most
> > certainly leave me!
>
> Did you really buy a Leica?  If so, congratulations!  Gee, you'll now be
> able to see just how good (or bad ;-) your scanner really is!

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.