Re: filmscanners: Mirage II ?'s

>I'm not sure what this means.  All flatbed scanners I've used have a
>"moving head", under the glass.  Do you mean that this one has a moving
>top platform (or platen) and that the sensor remains fixed, while the
>top of the scanner/glass move, like older (or cheaper) photocopiers?
>That would mean you need a LOT more space to work with this unit!  And
>yes, it would be a disaster making sure your oversized prints or negs
>don't get dragged or crushed while it is moving the scanning surface.
>
>Art

That is how I interpreted the info, but I don't really know. It seems like
that system would be fraught with problems (just like on my cheap copier).

Here's a couple quotes about the 3000 from the Umax site. As I mentioned
earlier the Mirage II info has already been pulled from the site. The 3000
seems to be based on the same "moving flatbed"/"dual lens" design.

>From Umax
(http://www.umax.com/professional/standard/products/powerlook3000.cfm):

"The PowerLook 3000 uses an innovative moving flatbed hardware design."

"Historically, graphics professionals who required the level of quality of
the PowerLook 3000 were forced to use more expensive drum scanners. These
devices rotate the artwork on a drum in front of a fixed optical system.
Though the non-movable mounting of the sensitive electronics offer  higher
quality, ,,,

The PowerLook 3000 uses a similar design where the fixed optics offer high
quality, but you also get high productivity and ease of use."

In addition to the problems you mentioned, I often weight the scanner lid
down with heavy books to flatten curly prints. I doubt this design would
appreciate that.

The 2100XL apparently achieves something similar with a moving mirror.

Mark

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.