Re: filmscanners: Mirage II ?'s

>Umax tended to be stingy with bit depth when it was expensive to
>provide.  Often their scanners would list something like
>
>Bit Depth: 36 bit*
>
>*-B.E.T., using the patented Bit Enhancement Technology in hardware
>(actual bit depth 30 bit)

  It sure isn't small.
>Dimensions: 28.7" x 20.8" x 7.8" --  If it ever stops working you can
>always use it as a desk!
>
>Art

It amazes me that Umax has pulled all info for this model from their
website so soon after it was discontinued. They are still available new
from dealers.

All the info I've found indicates a true 36 bit depth, but who knows. I've
seen enough references to 12/36 bit output that I've eased my concerns
about that issue. I can't imagine what the "24 bit-system" spec meant, but
the manual Umax has for download seems very old and perhaps the early
drivers didn't offer hi-bit output.

The physical size of the scanner is a concern, but I regularly scan 60"
long prints and negs, so it is a fair trade for fewer stitches to make in
Photoshop. I finally got through to a human at Umax last evening who told
me something more troubling that I was not aware of. He's says that the
Mirage II has a moving head like the 3000. I've read everything I can find
about this scanner, but had never seen mention of that. If true, it would
be so awkward for dealing with my long prints and negs, that I think it
would ofset the convenience of the larger scan size.

Mark

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.