Re: filmscanners: Graphics Cards

Rob writes ...

> Does it matter how it's done?  The point is that some cards *cannot*
adjust
> the gamma to give a correct display.  ...

    You mean they don't make their CLUT available for ^any^ software's
ability to adjust it, which hasn't much to do with CM.  CM takes over
simply because the CLUT is available to be adjusted, and while (e.g)
Matrox may provide a utility for gamma adjustment, it isn't needed as
far as Adobe Gamma is concerned ... all it worries about is access to
the CLUT.
    I am aware of video cards which do not provide for CLUT access,
but you really have to be cheap and be unlucky to find one.  Access to
the CLUT can be as much a capability of the OS, as well ... e.g., NT4
provided no means for video card manufacturers to provide the means
for (e.g.) Adobe Gamma's making adjustment of gamma (or whitepoint)
... but Adobe Gamma did work with NT4, by characterizing the display
and letting Photoshop know what colors and gamma were available.

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.