Re: Getting around the firewire problem was Re: filmscanners: Best film scanner, period!!!

I'm suggesting you move a few slower applications to the new machine and
leave the others where they are and use 100Mbit network between the 2
machines to transfer the data. The hardware to perform this is <$50.

eg. PS as 4000dpi scans take a long time to process - I hate to think how
much time it takes on a 200Mhz Pentium Pro. (It irritates me on Athlon 900
with 512MB PC133)

Since it soumds like you have a decent monitor I expect it has both BNC and
D-Sub connector so you could skip the monitor or better still get a 15 inch
monitor and a dual head Matrox graphics card. You can put all your palletes
on the 15inch monitor and use your decent one solely for the image.

I am sure you can pick up 1GHz+ machine with 1GB of memory for less than
$1000 (I'm in the UK so I'm guessing a bit) that will save you much more
time sitting waiting for PS than it takes to install the program. Whilst you
will be a victim of the manufacturers upgrade policy you wait far less time
everytime you do any PS operation - except perhaps open/write where 7200rpm
disks help as do  IDE Raid solutions (striped SCSI raid better but costs a
fortune).

Steve