Re: filmscanners: Archiving Photos (a little off-topic)

Lynn Allen wrote:
> but I had 5000 pictures to do in 10 month's time

That's exactly my task at the moment.
I've just bought a rather good flatbed (Agfa Arcus 1200, 14bit color) to
scan my whole archive of family pictures from the last 100 years.
Since this is a very time consuming project I must do everything right the
first time. And since I'm not that skilled yet I wonder what the most proper
routine for scanning archival prints is. I'm planning to save all the
pictures as tiffs at resolutions from 300dpi (5x7prints) up to 1200dpi (very
small prints) and make additional jpegs for quick reference.
Should I scan and save files with 16bit color?
Do I need the same for b&w prints?
What about color prints that need strong color correction? In Poland during
the 70's and 80's only East German photographic paper was available. Those
prints have a very strong reddish color cast now. Auto Adjust helps a lot
but then some additional manual corrections are necessary. Should I stretch
the histogram values from 0 to 255 or leave the ends somewhat closer
together?

I simply don't want to discover that after having recorder 200 CD-Rs I made
a mistake which makes my effort worthless or the results not optimal.
Maybe you some place on the Web delaing with this matter?

Regards

Tomasz Zakrzewski

online portfolio
www.zakrzewski.art.pl