Re: filmscanners: Archiving Photos (a little off-topic)

Scan everything at the highest optical resolution possible and 16-bit
colour, and save those first.

Then you can go through them again spotting and correcting the colour.

Don't bother to make separate JPEGS, use a program like Thumbs Plus or
ACDSee to prepare thumbnails and index sheets.

tomzakrz@ka.onet.pl (Tomasz Zakrzewski) wrote:

> Lynn Allen wrote:
> > but I had 5000 pictures to do in 10 month's time
>
> That's exactly my task at the moment.
> I've just bought a rather good flatbed (Agfa Arcus 1200, 14bit color) to
> scan my whole archive of family pictures from the last 100 years.
> Since this is a very time consuming project I must do everything right
> the
> first time. And since I'm not that skilled yet I wonder what the most
> proper
> routine for scanning archival prints is. I'm planning to save all the
> pictures as tiffs at resolutions from 300dpi (5x7prints) up to 1200dpi
> (very
> small prints) and make additional jpegs for quick reference.
> Should I scan and save files with 16bit color?
> Do I need the same for b&w prints?
> What about color prints that need strong color correction? In Poland
> during
> the 70's and 80's only East German photographic paper was available.
> Those
> prints have a very strong reddish color cast now. Auto Adjust helps a
> lot
> but then some additional manual corrections are necessary. Should I
> stretch
> the histogram values from 0 to 255 or leave the ends somewhat closer
> together?
>
> I simply don't want to discover that after having recorder 200 CD-Rs I
> made
> a mistake which makes my effort worthless or the results not optimal.
> Maybe you some place on the Web delaing with this matter?

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.