RE: filmscanners: Archiving Photos (a little off-topic)

Tomasz, I suggest you spend a month experimenting, getting to know the
process.

Read Margulis (buy a copy for version 4 of Photoshop - which I suppose is
cheaper than a current edition - as PS techniques haven't evolved too
rapidly recently.  Browse a bookstore copy of the current edition to see
what the difference is).  I read it in a day, not in an effort to understand
every last little detail, but to get an overview of the *wide* variety of
techniques required in colour "correction".  I'd already been playing with
Photoshop for a month or so reasonably seriously, so I was familiar with
chunks of what he describes.  I ignored the chapter on Moire and with a bit
of luck you can too.  Just bear with his obsession with CMYK-mode - it's not
as great as he makes out, if you aren't publishing (newspaper, magazine,
book etc.), as far as I can tell.

After two or three months you'll probably get paranoid about some of your
early work and go back and try to re-do some of the more difficult things.
It might help you to keep all your early scans in their un-touched state,
i.e. before any edits, just so that you can go back to them.

After a while you'll probably be happy to forget the "raw scan files" and
save all your scans in their "finalised" form, at full resolution and
something like JPEG quality level 9 or 10 or 11 (in Photoshop) - that will
save you lots of disk or CDR space.  The lower the resolution, the higher
you should keep the quality level.  11 is being rather perfectionist though.

>From these "Master JPEGs" you might produce "compilation" CDs containng
hundreds of images in lower resolution and lower JPEG quality, for you
family to have.  When your family asks for prints, you can refer back to
your original master JPEGs.

Jawed

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.