[filmscanners] RE: film and scanning vs digital photography

Going back to Paul's original post...  and writing as an SS4000 & D200 owner
who just unloaded his most modern film gear, I'd say macro & landscape are
good territory for the D200.  If you prefer the wide range & lower contrast
of negative film then there's some adapting.  I'd put RAW files about
half-way between slides and negatives for range (just my experience, no
citations).  The Fuji-Nikons like the S3 are one way around this.

The film gear I parted with was the Contax G2.  For now only the Leica M8
(M8.0?) replaces the 35mm rangefinder with compact high performance wide
angles.  Not that I don't love the images & handling of the D200 & Nikon's
17-55/2.8, but it's a big attention-getting rig compared to a Leica, Contax
G, Bessa, etc. and a fixed lens between 21 & 50 mm.

As people have mentioned, the 36x24mm Canon sensors put a lot of stress on
their lenses off-axis.  The smaller sensor Nikons (& others) can deliver
corner-to-corner evenly illuminated images that are arguably (sometimes)
better.  Current 36x24 cameras are more often lens-limited where the smaller
ones are more often sensor-limited. (Extended discussion omitted for
civility's sake  ;-) )  I'd rather see a generation of cameras with better,
wider-range pixels over their predecessors instead of just another 50% boost
in the current type of pixel.

Nikon will probably have a D3 to compete with Canon's eventual 36x24mm Mk
III.  Nikon reps have informally mentioned a body "for the pros later this
year."

Bob G