[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

16mp 1Ds MkII is the one I recall the camera LL said matched film. I haven't
"bought into" the 22mPixel rumor.  I was told by someone who attended the photo
show in Vegas that it was announced. Beyond that, I have no knowledge of the
camera. I'd be plenty happy with the Mk II. I attended a show by IIRC Fred
Larson of the San Francisco Chronicle. This was the camera the Chron thought
replaced film. [They made some corporate decision about two years ago to dump
their Nikons and go all Canon. They used to have a mix of bodies.]

Astia 100f pushes well, though you can see increased grain if pulled a
stop. Half a stop gets you a little "edge" without much of a grain issue.

The claim (i.e. I have no first hand knowledge) that some fashion
photographers prefer film IF there is an issue of aliasing.

The MKII was about $4k+ last time I looked. There is obviously a price
break point for film versus digital. I'm doing about 30 to 40 rolls a
year. I probably haven't hit the break point, but someone who shoots for
a living easily could pay for the MKii in a year.

One thing for sure, the EOS1HS I got a few years ago will be my last new
film body. I still like to do some telephotography with my F3 due to the
ability to put a magnifier on the screen. I'm trying to convert my EOS
film body to that task, but the removable prism is such an advantage.
[I'm really getting tired of fixing the old F3, and I think now Nikon
won't refurb it.]