[filmscanners] Re: film and scanning vs digital photography

I suggest checking out this website:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

My recollection is the first DSLR these guys thought was as good as film
was a 16Mpixel Canon EOS 1. I can't recall the exact variant (Mark 1,
mark 2, etc.) If you don't own that camera (or maybe the 22Mpixel model
that is going to replace it), the DSLR will not be as good as scanned
film. However, if you can control your work to the point where you don't
need to crop very much, you can get acceptable results with a lesser
camera.

I attended a talk by Jim Sugar (National Geographic and other mags) a
few months ago. I haven't followed through on this, but he said Getty
Images and Digital Railroad have on their websites what they consider an
acceptable camera to produce stock images for them to sell.