[filmscanners] Re: large scanning project

Arthur Entlich wrote:
>  > Don't these companies understand how it damages their relationship with
>  > their customers? Don't they know that an important driver for sales in
>  > the photography and imaging business is brand loyalty?  They are just
>  > shooting themselves in the foot.
>

> But are they?
>
> Although I too am outraged that these companies do this, keep in mind
> how nicely this obsolesces whole generations of peripherals.

Yes, but they go and buy someone else's next generation peripheral.
You've lost a customer for that sale because you p*ssed him off.

> I had an idea that I pitched to MS a few years back, that they not issue
>   a "Windows Compatible" designation on a peripheral unless the company
> signs an agreement that they will guarantee to supply upgraded drivers
> with changes in OS's for a certain number of years (I thought 8-10 years
> would be about right).

Perhaps that could be a marketing idea for the peripheral producer
thought.  "We guarantee that this printer will work with all future
generations of the Windows OS for the next 10 years."  I just had to buy
another laser printer because my KM laser printer doesn't have a 64 bit
driver.  KM has lost me as a printer customer, and lost all those future
sales of super high margin toner cartridges that I would have used if
the printer had a 64 bit driver. (Which is, by the way, how the make
their money on laser printers these days, just like with ink jets.)

> MS's legitimate response was the company is already accused of trying to
> control the industry and this would not go over well with with
> peripheral manufacturers.  However, since MS owns the certification
> process, personally, I'd like to see them require some minimal time
> period on all certified products.

MS has good cause to think that way -- they KNOW they try to control the
industry.