[filmscanners] Re: large scanning project

If a "driver" were just taking bytes from a piece of hardware and
feeding them to a hard drive, I'd agree with you. However, the Dimage
5400 has ICE, GEM, ROC, and SHO, all of which are CPU intensive.

I believe I gave the gent who started this thread some incorrect info
regarding all these processing features. Only SHO forces you to do 8 bit
per color scans. The other features work in 16 bits, though to be
honest, I only use ICE.

One solution for KM (now Sony) would be to put what they could of the
drivers in public domain. Then either the new drivers would come from
open source hackers, or some enterprising programmers would start a
company to support 64 bit drivers. This can mean a lot of money for a
one or two person software company.