[filmscanners] Re: HP PhotsSmart - questions

Anti-reflection coating on the flatbed of a scanner has nothing to do
with uncovered parts of the flatbed and everything to do with the fact
that anytime the image forming light hits a glass-air surface there is
the potential for a reflection (or backscatter) which will reduce the
contrast of the image (non image-forming light hitting the unexposed
parts of the CCD/CMOS).  Any time you have light passing across a
glass-air surface you will improve image quality (particularly contrast)
by AR coating the glass.

Mr. Bill