[filmscanners] Vuescan and Fuji 400 Print film

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Vuescan and Fuji 400 Print film
  • From: "" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:14:09 +1000

I may have to post this again when I have a film canister to check the exact
description of the film.  I shot some Fuji 400 print film on the weekend,
and have been a little frustrated trying to get the "right" results out
of vuescan.  I generally use the "generic colour negative" setting because
it usually gives the "best" result.  However, with some frames on the film,
the generic setting lost too much shadow detail and gave an odd colour
rendition.

What colour settings do people use with Vuescan and Fuji 400 print film?
 The profiles built into Vuescan seem to be for older generations of Fuji
films which are not current any more.  I'm using a Nikon LS30.

I wish I hadn't had a roll of Kodak 400 in the camera when I left home.
 The colour was OK, but the apparent grain was a lot worse in the scan than
from the Fuji.

TIA,
Rob

PS Interesting to hear that ASF has a digital noise reduction filter.  I'll
have to try it on images from my video camera.

PPS I have found that if the brightness is set too high on the LS30 with
Vuescan, red tends to come out looking pink.  Dropping the brightness seems
to restore the correct red as the colour deepens.