[filmscanners] RE: Vuescan Color Tab

>   I say it's "alright" because there's nothing wrong with it.
> However, if you did decide to convert from "device space" to another
> space before archiving, and then wanted to convert again later to a
> "better space" (for whatever reason), then you need accept the
> additional quantization errors and extra dithering ... i.e., two
> conversions rather than one.

This may be a language problem; but by device space, I assumed that you
meant the native color space profile of the device (scanner or camera).
This native space is often smaller than most traditional working spaces
(e.g., Adobe RGB 1998 or Color Match) resulting in a loss of raw data
unless - of course - you are referring to a raw scan consisting of the
maximum data that the device can collect given its mechanics and
electronics.  In the later case I see what you are saying; but in the
former case where the raw data is often converted into a color space
defined by the particular device's color profile, I would suggest
substituting the working color space for the device specific color space
defined by some device dependent color profile or sRGB.