[filmscanners] Newbie needs purchase advice

I joined this list because I need to get a scanner very soon. I'm a total
beginner in this area and judging by the little I have read so far, I realize I
have a daunting learning curve to climb. Unfortunately, I need to get the
scanner before I have time to master much of the curve, so I'm hoping people
here can point me in the right direction.

The scanner will be used by a graphic designer to scan slides, transparencies,
(both 4x5 and 6x7), and possibly colour negatives of my sculpture.

Here's the criteria which I think I should be considering.

1)  I would like to get as good quality scans as possible using a scanner that
costs no more than about $400.

2)  I have a PowerMac 9500/150 with 304 MB RAM, which will have a FireWire and
USB PCI card, to which I can connect the scanner. Eventually however, I will
upgrade  to a G3 or G4, so I would like the scanner to be forward compatible.

3)  I do not care whether it is a dedicated slide scanner or a flat bed scanner
with a transparency attachment. Quality of results is the most important.

4) Speed although nice is not a top priority.

A friend suggested an Epson 3200.  Any thoughts on that model?

Any advice people can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Maaki