[filmscanners] Re: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?

Julian Robinson wrote:
> reconstruct and manipulate to get sufficient contrast from that.  So I will
> photograph a scene with 10 stops range, and later bring the shadows up or
> the sky back so the whole image then only has 5 stops range - i.e. the
> image has normal aesthetically pleasing contrast.
>
> How do you do that with a digital, until they offer a "wide range"
> setting?  Such wide range images would look ugly unless processed.

YOu dont do that with digital unless there is a lovely 24 bit per channel
CCD signal which goes from very sensitive to very forgiving. This is one
good reason why film is better - it can be used as a catchall, and the
post processing can move to whichever end of the stop range you want.

Digital still isnt there yet.

bert