[filmscanners] Re: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?

At 08:56 PM 1/27/2003, you wrote:
>Hi Sam,
>
> > This surprised me, but only because I didn't remember it being said
> > in the many digital-vs-film discussions I've seen. That is, it didn't
> > surprise me because I doubt it. It's just that the digital-vs-film
> > war seems to be conducted so much on the resolution/sharpness/detail
> > front.
> >
> > How PopPhoto defines and tests color accuracy, I don't know. But I
> > assume prints are not involved. And that color management with
> > profiles and, beyond that, color correction via case-by-case
> > adjustments is sometimes needed no matter how accurately the colors
> > are captured, and regardless of how they're captured.
>
>It's kind of a red herring...because you can, of course, adjust any and all
>of the colors to perfectly match anything you want...with any digital file.

Yes and no. If you imagine that you have (as was discussed earlier on this
list) a scenario where the film or CCD is saturated in a particular colour,
then you can't "adjust" anything. If the CCD has more RANGE than the film,
then it would be saturated at a higher intensity of that colour, compared
to the film. Or the other way around, of course. Equally, the range from
"no exposure" to "saturated" can be different (it certainly is in different
types of film).

But of course, you can adjust it as long as the range of colour is
distinguishable in the area you want to colour correct. If you have all the
red in a big block being saturated or "zero", you can't really change the
colour very much, can you? [Or at least, you can't get more information
visible, you may be able to change it to a less red colour, but it still
will be a big block of solid red, assuming of course, no other colour is
present in some noticable pattern and quantity].

This of course applies to film, film scanners and digital cameras, and the
only question would be which has the most exposure and colour latitude...

--
Mats