[filmscanners] Re: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?

If you want a sample of one, I have decided (partly because of poverty)
that my LS2000 will probably be my last scanner.  This is for exactly the
reasons everybody has given - with full 35mm size sensors, zilcho grain,
color that is, as Austin says, at least good enough to manipulate to
whatever your idea of the original was, or to the effect you want ...  what
is missing?

Only one thing missing for me - my only doubt -- digitals record a scene
brightness range that is meant to be suitable contrast for printing, in
other words, a range of 4 to 6 or 7 stops.  This means they throw away all
the info outside that range.  As we have discussed before, I often
photograph scenes with greater range than this on negative film and
reconstruct and manipulate to get sufficient contrast from that.  So I will
photograph a scene with 10 stops range, and later bring the shadows up or
the sky back so the whole image then only has 5 stops range - i.e. the
image has normal aesthetically pleasing contrast.

How do you do that with a digital, until they offer a "wide range"
setting?  Such wide range images would look ugly unless processed.

Julian

At 07:56 28/01/03, you wrote:
>Hi Sam,
>
> > This surprised me, but only because I didn't remember it being said
> > in the many digital-vs-film discussions I've seen. That is, it didn't
> > surprise me because I doubt it. It's just that the digital-vs-film
> > war seems to be conducted so much on the resolution/sharpness/detail
> > front.
> >
> > How PopPhoto defines and tests color accuracy, I don't know. But I
> > assume prints are not involved. And that color management with
> > profiles and, beyond that, color correction via case-by-case
> > adjustments is sometimes needed no matter how accurately the colors
> > are captured, and regardless of how they're captured.
>
>It's kind of a red herring...because you can, of course, adjust any and all
>of the colors to perfectly match anything you want...with any digital file.
>
>Regards,
>
>Austin

>or body

Julian
Canberra, Australia

Satellite maps of fire situation Canberra and Snowy Montains
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~julian/cbfires/fires.htm