[filmscanners] RE: Filmscanners - is this about as good as itgets?

I was surprised, Ramesh, to see in a recent issue of "Popular
Photography", in an editor's response to a letter to the editor:

"... However, many digital cameras now offer color accuracy that is
better than any film we've tested. ..."

This surprised me, but only because I didn't remember it being said
in the many digital-vs-film discussions I've seen. That is, it didn't
surprise me because I doubt it. It's just that the digital-vs-film
war seems to be conducted so much on the resolution/sharpness/detail
front.

How PopPhoto defines and tests color accuracy, I don't know. But I
assume prints are not involved. And that color management with
profiles and, beyond that, color correction via case-by-case
adjustments is sometimes needed no matter how accurately the colors
are captured, and regardless of how they're captured.

The more recent releases of LaserSoft's SilverfastAi scanning
software seem to me much better, at least with negative/print film
and my Polaroid SS4000 (not Plus). It was bundled with my scanners
and is the only scanner software I've ever used. If only its
documentation had improved as much, I'd recommend it to anyone who
can afford it. In fact, I would anyway to anyone who reads German,
because I think the documentation suffers mostly from poor
translation from, I assume, German into English.

Sam