[filmscanners] RE: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

>Also, the 10-bit "Giga-color" display is something that can only be used by
>launching an applet or Photoshop plug-in.

What I was actually refrring to was something else and not "Giga-color."
Snippets from the Matrox web site and the Coloreal web site:

Coloreal® Visual by WayTech Development adds powerful color management
features to Matrox Parhelia cards. Functionality includes visual monitor
calibration, ICC profiling, accurate Internet color and sophisticated color
management features for one or more CRT / LCD monitors attached to a PC
system.

Irvine, CA June 25, 2002 – Matrox Graphics Inc., the leading professional
graphics company, announced today that its Parhelia™ graphics cards,
delivering the highest fidelity graphics, will ship with Coloreal Visual,
which enables monitors to be color matched with ICC profiles. Created and
marketed by WayTech Development, Inc., Coloreal Visual provides accurate
color across multiple monitors attached to the same system, specifically
allowing for accurate and consistent color in production environments.
Matrox Parhelia graphics cards mark the next phase in the industry’s
adoption of the Coloreal platform as the standard for controlling color on,
and across, computer peripherals.

>However, even in 8-bit mode, having a
>10-bit DAC is useful because it keeps the color lookup table curves from
>introducing posterization through round-off errors.

Here, I agree with Austin that it makes no difference when one uses 8 bit
data with a 10 bit DAC in terms of rounding off errors - if I understood his
comments correctly.