From: "Matt Haber" <matt@matthaber.com>
To: <mlidaka@Ameritech.Net>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 9:20 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] vuescan

seems like vuescan might be useful, but here are my gripes. maybe
somebody can set me straight....

my hardware is the nikon ls 8000.

i tried the tryout version...which seems useless for critical
comparisons, because of the "$40" on the final image. that's my first
gripe. it may be cheap, but I don't want to spend any $$ unless it will
improve my result.

second, it seems to take a very long time to scan, render and save,
compared to the nikon scan software.

It seems to be very kludgy about helping to identify  a particular
image. It will do preview scans of everything, but that also takes a
very long time.

its only advantage seems to be the way the software is tuned to the
film. I use fuji Reala, and it seemed to produce a much better
preview scan right out of the box. BUT i'm not sure that alone is
worth it. any thoughts?

mattMatt Haber
dance, portrait and fashion photography
http://www.matthaber.com