[filmscanners] RE: NikonScan doesn't see my LS-4000ED

> It's entirely possible that
> FireWire uses the
> same SCSI command set as well, and needs ASPI. But that's only an educated
> guess.

We spent days trying to get an 8000 to work, going through the 10 levels of
hell (sorry, Nikon support). Anyway, it turned out that the scanner was duff
from the start, but, in the process, going through everything Nikon could
think of before deciding that, I seem to recall them getting me to make sure
the correct SCSI command set had been loaded for the firewire during the
install process.

So, it could be that and/or the ASPI layer I suppose

(check out what ed hamrick has?
http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html  - half way down

or you might want to try reloading the scsi command set for the 4000 from
the Nikon scan disk into wherever it goes on your Win system - maybe it got
corrupted? (there were several on the disk I think - you need the right one)

All very unscientific, but most of the time this seems more like alchemy
anyway!

tim