[filmscanners] Re: Real-World Scene Brightness Range

At 03:26 PM 5/13/2002 +0100, David Hoffman wrote:
>At 14:20 +0200 13/5/02, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> >I'm not so sure.  There's often more light falling on dark objects in the
> >shade than one might think
>
>So we both don't really know! If the sun ever comes out again here
>I'll measure it.
>
>Want to bet? Loser does the spotting on a horrid B+W (non ICEable) Nikon scan?
>
>David Hoffman

I took actual measurements (a radical step, I know, and one inconsistent
with the nature of research on the internet) yesterday afternoon about 3:00
PM. The sky was cloudless, the sun was bright, and the shadows in my
backyard were deep from the surrounding trees. I read about EV9.5 from the
shadows and EV16.5 from the concrete driveway. Pointing the meter (a
1-degree spot meter) at my open back door into my darkened house, I could
almost get down to EV8. There is so much light scattering from the air,
reflecting from nearby objects, and from skylight, that shadows in nature
just don't get very dark. In a dark forest, you would have dark shadows,
but you would also have dark highlights. In a fully-lit scene, shadows look
very dark to our eyes because our eyes are stopped down to accommodate the
bright sunlight.

Stan