[filmscanners] Real-World Scene Brightness Range

At 04:33 PM 5/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> > > Are you claiming most real life scenes don't
> > > have 10 stops of density range ...
> >
> > Yes, if you eliminate light sources and specular highlights, particularly
> > the former.
> >
> > > ... or that film doesn't have 10 stops of
> > > density range?
> >
> > Film has the range, but most scenes do not use it all.  Ten stops means a
> > shadow at f/1.0 next to a bright spot at f/32.  That's quite rare.
>
>Anthony, I have no idea where you take pictures, or how for that matter, but
>your "experiences" and mine seem to never coincide.  I know that what I take
>pictures of, getting 10 stops in a scene is hardly rare.
>
>Do not confuse the density range of the scene, with the density range that
>scene gets represented as on film.  They are two entirely different things.
>
>Austin

Can you give us an example of the type of scene that might have a 10 stop
range of brightness? How do you measure the brightness range? I take a lot
of photos in mountains and deserts, metering with a handheld 1 degree
spotmeter and I don't recall ever seeing more than 6-7 stops, so I'm
curious what type of scenes you have in mind.

Stan