[filmscanners] Re: Lack of contrast in the (raw) scans from VueScan ?

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Lack of contrast in the (raw) scans from VueScan ?
  • From: "Bob Shomler" <bob@shomler.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:07:55 -0700

I think "shAf" responded to most of your questions.  For one part:

>how does one adjust ("center") the exposure to match
>the mid point of the density distribution of the film durin the scan ?

You can use the Color->Brightness adjustment for this.  I prefer to do this in
Photoshop, since I set a very small white point percent (Vuescan) and then set
my desired image white point in Photoshop (which is better suited for end- and
mid-point adjustments for my images and workflow).

Also ensure the cropping doesn't include outside the film frame border; or, if
you want to capture outside the frame edges, set the Crop tab Buffer percent to
a higher value to prevent the outermost edges of the image from influencing the
Vuescan-calculated image balance.

You might try experimenting with some scan process variations:  Perform a scan
of a frame and save a Raw file (Files->Save raw file, and Save with set to
Scan), also set Device->Scan resolution to full/2700.  Then change Device Scan
from to Disk.  You can preview and scan from this raw file and observe the
variations as you change settings on the other tabs.  Much faster than
rescanning the film frame each time.

--
Bob Shomler
http://www.shomler.com/