[filmscanners] Re: My Public Apology

> > May I ask what "monitor compensation" is and
> > how I can find this switch inside of PS v6?
>
>In PS 5.x for Windows, it's in the Preferences | RGB Settings dialog.  When
>turned on, it uses an ICC profile for your monitor (which you set up with
>Adobe Gamma, included with PS) to adjust colors in images to match your
>monitor, so that you see colors as they are really being recorded in the
>image.  I don't know if this changed in PS 6.x and beyond, and I'm not sure
>that it exists on the Mac version, since the Mac has better color
>synchronization capability built into the OS.

This must have been changed with v6 then. My settings are custom and the
display is set for Adobe RGB (1998). I've searched for any reference to
"monitor compensation" over at the Adobe online source and have been able
to find none.

The image I see when in PS is pretty close to the one I get with PSP--I'd
say the PS image looks a bit more saturated. What kills me is that there's
no way in the world to guess what others see on their monitors. I've a
fairly beefed-up system and my monitor's calibrated regularly, every couple
months or even more--then again this is _not_ done with a spyder, so who
knows how close it is? Display the same image on a system with a different
video card and older and different brand monitor, etc., and there's just no
accounting for the differences. Frankly, until the industry comes up with
some hard video standard we're all basically chasing our tails with online
images and the critique of same.  It's good enough for casual purposes, but
to get seriously critical with this stuff is silly at present. I wonder why
so many do.

Thanks for your input.

Tris