[filmscanners] 'sRe: Re: Tiresome Arguments Ad Infinitum

I also lurk on several lists, and I must confess that I enjoy the arguments
over the more esoteric subjects. What really gets up my nose are the
postings as to 'how to turn my scanner on', or 'what is a profile', or 'what
is the difference between an Epson 1200 and a 2450'.

Ok, we were all newbies once, but I at least had the wit to read the
instruction manuals that came with my 'goodies', went to their websites,
read their FAQ's, bought a book or two, and gave myself a reasonable
background before daring to to ask questions that didn't seem clearly
answered in any of these sources.

So, there has to come a point when the participants in a lengthy
discussion/argument realise that there is little to be gained by pursuing it
any further, but the rest of us who have persevered with the postings will
surely have learnt something from them, and might even contribute. I know
that I have.

People say it's tiresome to keep using the delete key. I delete most of the
emails I receive, so the only difference is the amount of attention I give
the posting before I press the delete button. If it's about Minolta or
Polaroid xxx scanners (as most seem to have been recently), I press the
delete button immediately (I have a Nikon which I don't anticipate changing
before I swap permanently to digital). And I have saved some of the
density/dynamic range postings since they have content that might be useful
in future.

Bob Frost.