From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Todd Flashner
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 7:15 PM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Tiresome Arguments Ad Infinitum

on 4/17/02 2:46 PM, Laurie Solomon wrote:

> Todd,
>
>> On another list, in a thread similar to this one, (fed up with the
>> esoterica), the complainer facetiously suggested someone start a list
> called
>> "The Noise", where all these less-than-everyday-useful discussions can
air
>> freely, (and I would add, without the well intentioned but curmudgeonly
>> hatchet of impatience coming down upon it).
>
> Without attempting or intending to belabor this tread, I would only note
> with respect to the above that even, if such a list were established, some
> wag would get on it and register the exact same complaints.

Well said indeed, Mr. Solomon, indeed, indeed.

>> Why so many lists want to rehash the same old newbie
>> questions over and over
>
> Maybe - just maybe - because lists like this gets a continual flow of
> newbies - many of whom (a) do not know what took place previously, (b) who
> do not know where to find or how to find archives, and (c) who are too
lazy
> to do any searching or research, too much in need of an immediate everday
> recipe on how to solve their problem, or too self absorbed in their own
> needs that they forget that what they are asking or saying is not new in
the
> instutional history or memory of the list.

Just for the record, there is nary a subject I myself am not a newbie to,
and I'd never want to intimidate newbie from asking their questions. My
point was just that to keep the sages around, to answer the mundane
questions, and those more sophisticated when they arise,  we need to give
them some room to have some fun. A diverse list is best; that's all.

Todd