[filmscanners] RE: Polaroid SS4000 shadow detail

What type of film are you using?

I previously used mostly Fujichrome Velvia. With the  SS4000, it was
difficult to pull any detail from deep shadows with this high contrast film.
I don't know whether that was due to the range of the scanner or whether it
was just a characteristic of Velvia. I don't have access to another scanner
for comparison.

I use mostly Provia now and the problem is not as bad. I don't like the
palette and the saturation of the Provia as much as the Velvia. However, you
can alway add color and saturation to an image but you can't add information
that isn't there.

I have used the technique described in earlier posts in which I make two
scans, one for shadow detail and one for highlight detail and combine them
into a single image.

I am using Insight 5.5. It isn't better for this problem in my experience.

Stan