[filmscanners] Re: Cloning

>A ha... you have "defined" the problem.

Thanks Art; you are always a good Samaritan.  Your comment makes me feel
much better (;^).

>You are using the wrong tool!
>I suppose to save space on the tool pallet, Photoshop has several tools
>hiding in many of the tool icons.  If they have more than one tool,
>there is a small arrow facing right in the right hand lower corner.

There's no arrow.

>The Pattern Stamp tool and the Rubber Stamp tool both occupy the same
>location on the toll pallet.  To switch from one to the other left click
>AND HOLD the left button down on the tool icon and shortly a little
>secondary tool set will open.

Bingo!  Also, voila! eureka! oh, happy day! etc., etc.

>The the case of the pattern/rubber
>stamps, there are only two.  Move the mouse cursor to land on the
>non-ghosted one and let go of the mouse button.  You will now have
>switched to the opposite stamp.  To chick, just put the mouse cursor on
>the tool icon in the tool pallet and wait a moment for the tool to be
>identified via a little yellow box with a description in it-- it should
>now read "Rubber Stamp Tool (S)".

Yep.  It's just as you say.

>If it still says "Pattern Stamp Tool
>(S)", then once again click and hold with left mouse button and choose
>the other stamp.
>
>Once you have the Rubber Stamp Tool activated, you can use the procedure
>that has been discussed.  It is a lot quicker than the way you have been
>doing it.

What a relief.  Cloning saves my bacon, since I'm not working in a
dust-free environment.  (In fact, my office seems to be a dust hotel.)  The
quick procedure still doesn't work, though.  But I'm very glad to have the
problem solved to this extent.

Once again, my thanks to you and all the others who have helped.

Best regards,
John