Re: filmscanners: Polaroid SS4000 / 4000+ / 120 ???

----- Original Message -----
From: Lloyd O'Daniel <lodaniel@bham.rr.com>

> I can give you my opinion on part of this comparison. I have a
SS4000,
> bought 2 years ago at $1425. A friend of mine recently purchased a
SS120. I
> scanned a couple of 35mm slides on his 120 that I had previously
scanned on
> my 4000. My 4000 scans look great, but the 120 scans shows
significantly
> greater detail in highlights and shadows. The dynamic range numbers
> published by Polaroid seem to be accurate.

The fact you're getting "better highlight detail" says to me that your
aren't scanning using the same settings (which I would think is
easiest to do in Vuescan), and so comparing apples to oranges.

> Frankly, I'm a bit miffed at Polaroid for the manner they have
handled the
> 4000/4000+ situation. I am assuming that the 4000+ will have dynamic
range
> similar to that of the 120. Had Polaroid chosen to market the 4000+
> concurrently with the 4000 at a time when one could have obtained a
> reasonable resale value on the 4000, I would have upgraded to get
the higher
> DR. Instead, they have dumped 4000's on the market for $500 net or
so for 6
> months, making my scanner virtually worthless. There is no way I can
spring
> $1500 on a plus now. Polaroid loses a sale. They also haven't had a
35mm
> scanner they can get $1500 for lately. I would think they need the
cash. I
> would say that they deserve their current financial situation in
this
> regard.

Two comments, welcome to the wonderful world of digital:), and
Polaroid is under the gun to generate cash flow.  Can't really blame
them for trying to stay alive can you?

> In hindsight, I would have been better off to have upgraded to a
Nikon
> 4000ED before the legs were cut off the SS4000. I did think of doing
this.
> Poor performance ratings of the Nikon 14-bit scanner vis a vis
dynamic range
> dissuaded me from doing this.

Yes, and there are some who have said the "old" SS4000 you still own
is better than the "new" Nikon regarding dynamic range and film plane
DOF.  I'm not sure an upgrade would really get you better scans.

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.